Berry and Mascarpone Pancake Cake
For the Pancakes
225ml whole milk
4 large eggs, separated
225g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
50g melted butter
For the Filling
350g mascarpone cheese
100g icing sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
175g strawberries, quartered
50g caster sugar
- To make the pancakes, whisk together the milk and egg yolks, then sift over the flour and baking powder and fold together. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, then gently fold into the batter along with the melted butter. Allow to rest for 20 minutes to relax the gluten.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over a medium flame. Add a small chunk of butter and allow that to melt. Spoon a ladleful and a half of batter into the pan and spread it out to a disk of about 16cm. Fry on one side until the the pancakes stops bubbling, then flip it and fry for about 30 seconds more until well cooked. Allow to cool, and repeat until you have 3 equal disks of pancake.
- For the filling, simply beat the mascarpone, icing sugar and lemon together until just incorporated, and then load into a piping bag fitted with a 10mm plain nozzle.
- To assemble place one pancake onto a cake stand or plate and pipe blobs of the filling around the edge of the pancake. Then arrange some of the raspberries in a circle on the inside of the filling blobs. Pipe another circle of blobs then arrange some of the blueberries in a circle. Finally, throw some of the chopped strawberries into the centre then top with another pancake and repeat.
- Top with the third and final pancake, and pipe blobs around the edge. Scatter the remaining fruit inside of the blobs - the more random the better.
- Finally make the sauce. Boil the sugar and water together in a small pan for a minute, then add the raspberries and boil until they turn mushy. Pass the sauce through a sieve and drizzle over the cake.